Monday, August 17, 2009

Cool Hand Puke

Last night I watched Cool Hand Luke. I don’t think I’d ever seen it all the way through. I really only watched to hear ‘What we have here is a failure to communicate.’ I feel drawn to the phrase given that I have a deaf daughter fond of letting the batteries run out in her cochlear implants.

It was a good movie, but wow, depressing. The futility of Luke’s efforts to escape was not what I needed to see at this point. Not when I’m feeling like all the effort we’re putting in will come to naught for Bella. I dreamt about Cool Hand Luke all night. Well, at least until the point where the dog threw up. There’s nothing like a good dog barf to break the spiral of depression.

This led to some cussing and the realization that I only have one deaf kid. Jack hears everything. Before the kids went to bed and I turned on Cool Hand Luke, Jack and I had watched the Spongebob episode called Sailor Mouth. That’s the one where Spongebob and Patrick use a swear word disguised by the sound of a dolphin chirping. Very funny. Mr. Krab’s tells them they should never use that word and that, in fact, it is number 11 on a list of 13 dirty words.

I tell you that because as I’m cursing the dog at 3:30 in the morning I hear Jack call out ‘Uh-oh! You just said number 11!’ This was good, because I had probably used a half dozen on the list and he only recognized the one. That’s good parenting right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment